Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Month of Madness

a post from Tim...


We have been here a little over a month so far, though the past four weeks have felt much more like a year.  Somehow, time appears to move so incredibly slowly in Haiti.  Much to my surprise, there also appears to be a very cavalier and carefree attitude by most Haitians I have met.  But don’t get me wrong, I actually like this way of life.  Coming from Washington, DC, I am quite used to “Type-A” individuals… you know, the “go-getters” of the world.  However, in Haiti, people are not much impressed by your title or job, but rather, folks seem to be given to taking care of their families and working hard—purely for the sake of survival, provision, and the satisfaction of completing a project.  There is something to be said for truly putting in a hard days labor… something I think fewer and fewer Americans know anything about. 

I am so amazed at how very content many of the Haitians I have met seem; Most Haitians I have seen have very little, though they appear quite relaxed and serene.  In Haiti, people seem to be much more up-close and personal, and in fact make a point to visit others in person, conduct business in person, and be paid in cash for completing a job. 

We have been truly shocked at the interesting treatment that foreigners get here, particularly us Americans.  In fact, we have been pushed ahead of others at places like the bank and a local medical clinic.  The basic explanation that I have come to is that folks are generally grateful for the fact that Americans have come to Haiti to “help” in some way and show respect to those of us who are doing work here. 

I am learning to slowly and strongly appreciate Haitian culture for what it is, realizing that it does not need to be “Americanized”.  In fact, Haitians do not really need Americans to tell them how to live their lives… they, much like any of us, need to be helped in being able to help themselves.  Haitians are hard-workers, with goals and desires like any human.  They are talented, funny, smart, and filled with hope.  All they need is a chance.  It is incredible how many mission teams come to Haiti each week, many most likely with a sense of spiritual tourism imbedded into their minds and hearts.  This is in fact not much different than many American slums and impoverished communities:  Church groups come in for a week, do a few service projects, take pictures, and then head home – Meanwhile, those suffering remain in their circumstances, while the mission teams get to go back to their comfortable lives. 

I say all of this with the complete realization that I am included in the comfort-loving crew that often looks for a feel-good missions experience, not really looking to be plugged in for the long haul.  But really, how do short-term mission teams provide meaningful assistance to long-term missionaries or those committed to living in an impoverished community?  I am not sure there is a right answer, but I do think as long as individuals and teams come with a true desire to serve those who are already planted there, they will in turn be used as a tool to help put important puzzle pieces together in Kingdom building. 

Another thing I have been realizing is how much control I want over my world, which is why living in Haiti can be frustrating at times.  Here, I have very little control… in fact, I usually have to ask permission to even go two doors down to see our neighbors.  Back home, in DC, Aimee and I were essentially thriving at our respective jobs, and life was relatively predictable and “normal”.  Haiti, at times, feels like superman’s “Bizarro-World” – where everything is the exact opposite.  However, God has used this major life change to show me that He is in the one that is sovereign over all of life – whether things feel normal or not.  Therefore, Christ is my normal, though the world around me may change.  

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, bro! Continuing to pray for you and Aimee. Much Love!

    ReplyDelete