Saturday, July 12, 2014

Psalm 4:8 Project


Psalm 4:8 Project
In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety. –Psalms 4:8

the boys' room
Yesterday I learned that the boys’ bedroom at an orphanage we’ve recently been working with had had a fire the day before.  They were already short on beds, mattresses and sheets, but what they did have in the room for these boys was now gone.  The girls’ room has a few mattresses, but they could also greatly benefit from some new beds & sheets.

Some of the children are sleeping outside currently (which is not uncommon for this time of year because its so hot, but if they needed to come inside there are not places for them to sleep)

the girls' room
As I stood there and observed the damage, I thought, wow this is so sad, what a mess, what can we do, these children need places to rest at night, where do I begin?  It was overwhelming, but even more so due to the difficult situation this orphanage is already in. A husband and wife care for the children and do not have funds to pay nannies or staff to help. Food is limited and the children have few clothes, shoes and no medical care.

I stood back and thought about how WIDE the range of needs seem, how LONG this list is, how HIGH the challenges seem to pile up and how DEEP these problems felt.

These words reminded me of something…

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how WIDE and LONG and HIGH and DEEP is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. -Ephesians 3-14-19

play area
I want these children to know that there is a Father who loves them and cares about their needs…even something as simple as a place to lie down and sleep at night.  Each of them matters to Him and I hope that through this tangible expression of love; they will sense the greater love of Christ.  

The depths of my needs have never stopped God from lavishing his love on me and I cannot help but do something that will show these children HIS great love for them. Not my love…mine is broken, limited and so fragile. His is perfect, unending and strong. 

Oh how I need this kind of love.  So do they.

current sleeping area
The orphanage is called the Center of Hope & Light of the Needy and run by Jean Nicolas and his wife. They also run a school on the same property for 150 children.

Twenty five children currently live here, but they normally have 35. Due to the limited sleeping arrangements, 10 children have been staying with other people and coming to the orphanage for meals.

Funding is very limited and there are many needs, but beds & food are now their top 2 areas they need help. Thankfully we have been able to help them through the Haiti Food Pantry Fund which has been a huge blessing to them!

I am still working out details, but God has already provided some bedding to help the project get started and maybe even some manpower to begin the cleaning process.

My current best estimates are below:
current sleeping area

$50…cleaning supplies
$150…paint and supplies
$3,240…18 bunk beds @ $180 each (I’m working out details on this and hope I can find a better deal, but its looking like this will be the approximate cost)
$3,060.....36 mattresses ($85 each)
$500...sheets (we have some being donated already, but not sure how many…36 total needed...do not need to be new)

I know this is not a small project! But, I know that these children matter and He has put these things on my heart to share and trust Him with the rest. He’s already provided 5 people who want to help, some sheets & a few supplies…off to a good start!

When these 35 children put their heads down each night, I pray that these truths would surround them and be a sweet lullaby to their souls.  But more importantly that they would know love, safety, security & peace in Christ.
 
The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty One who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing. -Zephaniah 3:17

When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 
-Proverbs 3:24


If you would like to help, have ideas or items you’d like to donate…gently used twin sheets are great!  You can email me at aimee.wilson@awaa.org. Please send any questions my way as well!

To help us move forward with this project, please donate online or by check. To pay online, click here. In the notes section, include “Psalm 4:8 Project ”
If you would like to mail a check, please send a check made payable to “America World Adoption” to the address below. Include a note for "Psalm 4:8 Project"
America World Adoption
Attn: Michelle Reed
6723 Whittier Avenue, Suite 202
McLean, VA 22101

All donations are tax-deductible and a receipt for your donation will be provided to you.
Thank you for considering joining us! We look forward to updating you as the project progresses.    

No comments:

Post a Comment