Friday, August 22, 2014

Psalm 4:8 Project...complete!



In July we visited an orphanage where they had just experienced a fire in the boys’ bedroom.  This orphanage had been brought to our attention as they had pretty much run out of resources and had very little or no food at times.  We were able to help with this shortage on an emergency basis through funds given to the Haiti Emergency Food Pantry Food at AWAA. 

What they did have for beds, which wasn’t much, had been destroyed. To be honest, the girls’ room really needed some TLC as well.  There was no question that I wanted to somehow help them, but I wasn’t exactly sure how.  Sometimes it’s easy to be overwhelmed when there literally seemed to be a need around every corner.  But, I knew that God had brought us to this orphanage at a time when they had some unique challenges and we hoped that we could help in some way! 

The first thing I did was reach out to all of you to start getting the word out. My mom shared about the needs at my home church in ND and people started giving!  I knew this was a project that I couldn’t accomplish on my own.  But I also wondered if people would be interested in helping with a project so far away in an orphanage they had never even heard of or seen.  Silly me!  God knew just what was needed and moved in people’s hearts to give and so many of you did. What an amazing example of the Body of Christ coming together to meet a need.

I did rough estimates on bunk beds, paint, supplies, mattresses, sheets and some basic bedroom essentials and to be honest, the perfect amount of money came in. 
 
Shopping was a unique experience in Haiti as it involved pulling over on the side of the road and ordering the beds and coming back one week later to pick them up and delivered. They made all of them by hand!

We also bought some plastic covering to protect the mattresses and someone sewed the covers for us and put in a zipper to make them easily removable. We followed behind the truck to make sure we didn't lose anything along the way! On the bumpy road, I thought for sure something was going to come flying at us, but somehow it all stayed put!

Each child got his or her own little basket with some toiletry items and a bath towel and wash cloth. We were able to purchase a couple of fans and everything they need for everyone to have a place to lie down and go to sleep at night!
It was a joy to be able to deliver these items to them.  They all had such a cute, quiet curiosity in their eyes and many of them jumped in to help!
 
I got to share with them that many people heard about their orphanage and wanted to help.  I also talked with the children for a couple minutes that as they go to sleep at night that they would be reminded of the safety & comfort we can know through Jesus.  They asked that I would share their gratitude with you all and tell everyone THANK YOU for them!  I asked the orphanage director to share Psalm 4:8 with them which says...

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Thank you all for your kindness and generosity that made this project happen.  It all came together really quickly as we were leaving Haiti.  God worked out a lot of details so that from the time we heard about the need until the beds and supplies were delivered was just about ONE month! I’m so thankful for the tangible expression of care and love we could show to these precious children because of your willingness to help. I want them to know that they are not forgotten and I hope that this is a reminder to them that they are noticed and matter.

1 comment: