Sunday, November 10, 2013

Generous Gifts


To say that people have been generous is a huge understatement. To see God work through His people is incredible.  God did all of this. We sent an email and spoke at church for 30 seconds. God moved in the hearts of believers, our friends, our family and STRANGERS to meet our financial needs.  

Amazing. Humbling. Crazy.

He put it on people’s hearts; they heard, responded and gave. Generously! Without hesitation; people acted.  These acts of kindness have caused me to think deeply about my view of resources and finances. Do I do the same when a need is presented? Do I tend to think that others will take care of it?  People with more money, better jobs and fewer commitments are better equipped to meet a need?  My excuse list is long and I am sorry. Sorry for all the opportunities God has given me to give and I held back. I said its “mine.” I determined what I needed more than what someone else may have needed.  I said that my need was more important than another’s. 

To see inside my heart in these moments makes me cringe, but to look forward to a new response gives me hope. Hope that I am slowly becoming more like Him. He is so patient with me. Thank you God for showing me even more that it is all YOURS!  I want to respond to needs wisely, sacrificially and without hesitation.  Not to wonder how much to keep and how much to give, but to ask daily how to use what He has provided.  Holding loosely, clenched fists now open, hands out; remembering that time, gifts, resources & money are placed in my hands to use in a way that glorifies Him.

Quite literally for the first time we are living the next year on finances that we did not “earn.” They were freely given. What a picture of grace! Thank you for helping me see the gospel so clearly and with such a tangible expression of love.  God’s ways are so much higher than mine. God literally provided thousands of dollars in a matter of days and we are still crazy excited, thankful and awe-struck.

In my heart, these acts of kindness have raised the question: how much more should I rejoice and be found speechless at the price that was paid for my eternal debt? A gift that I could never even attempt to earn or pay back. It was free and the cost was immeasurable; yet it was a given to me. What a gift. God’s provision for Tim & my financial support is huge and incredibly humbling. We could not be here in Haiti without it.  

Our hearts are full.

What’s more is my eternal debt has been forgiven. Eternity has been changed; the full price paid with God’s only Son and His death on a cross. Now that is a generous gift. We could not spend eternity in heaven without this gift.  

Our hearts overflow!

What a humbling lesson to have been taught more about depth of the love and sacrifice of an amazingly generous God by the obedience of His children to respond generously to a tangible need in our lives.


Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! -2 Corinthians 9:15

And if you stayed till the end; here are a few pictures from our week...
Sweet play time with little ones.
Our Neighbor. 
New AWAA tshirt models!

No comments:

Post a Comment