Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Tim's Haircut


Today I received my second Haitian haircut, this time at a barbershop in Tabarre, instead of Delmas 75.  The room was rather narrow and long, with about 6 or 7 staff “working” there.  Surprisingly, mounted on the wall was a very crisp and clear HD television, which was broadcasting a European Football match.  Everyone in the room seemed to be captivated by intensity of the match, even the gentleman cutting my hair. 

As groovy Reggae sounds vibrated the shop, the calm and collected barber attempted to cut, perhaps his only white customer’s hair of the day.  I am always amazed at how incredibly at-ease most Haitians are.  Everyone in the shop was feeling the music, lounging in his or her chairs, and simply existing.  Not a single person appeared rushed or worried about a thing, but instead it seemed as if everyone had been sitting there for days.  Unlike my previous trip to the barbershop, everyone in the shop did not stare at me as if I were an alien.  I was quite relieved about this. 

Much to my relief, once again my hair turned out well and I avoided a much-feared disaster.  Additionally, the barber also only charged me $5, which was quite a steal – especially for a haircut.  I am always amazed at how hard Haitians will work when given a specific task.  Of course there are exceptions, however, many of my friends and acquaintances in PAP have shown me the value of work in such meaningful ways.  Sadly I am sure that I must be quite lazy compared to many of the Haitian workers that I come across.  There is something so special about working hard that simply cannot be defined, though a man can simply recognize when he has put forth a long days work. 

I am not sure that one way of living (having plenty or very little) is “better” than the other, but I can say that when people are accustomed to having very little, it seems as if their joy and treasures are naturally in more lasting things (such as family, friends, simple meals, etc.).  Many Haitians are desperate for work – so that they can provide for their families.  They are not worried about graduate school and weighing their options, they just need to make what they can make so that they can survive. 

As American’s, we are so incredibly blessed to have options, but is this really a blessing or a curse?  I am not sure I can answer that question but I can say that things often cloud our view of God.  Particularly as Americans, we do not realize how incredibly wealthy we are, and whatever we do realize, we think of our wealth as something to brag about or to only be thankful for. It is true that we should be thankful for all of the things in our life, because God is the giver of every good and perfect gift – however, what if our gifts often keep us from knowing God the way we were meant to? 

The questions that I have been wrestling with lately are, how do I work in a satisfying way, so as to give glory to God?  How do I enjoy the things that I have, without making an idol out of them?  How do I enjoy the gifts that I have without them blocking my view of God?  How do I avoid reducing life to having things… to basking in things that make me feel comfortable (i.e. WiFi, Air Conditioning, Driving a car, Snacking on food anytime, Drinking latte’s from Starbucks, Going to movies, Sleeping in a soft bed, Keeping plenty of clothes in my wardrobe, etc.) Surely American’s do not realize that most of the world lives without the comforts that they’re accustomed to enjoying.  Should that, however, make us so much more grateful for our belongings or our jobs – or should that make us long for the giver of things all the more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment